This is my favourite weeknight meal especially in winter. The kids will even eat it now, bonus. It is cheap, quick and easy, not to mention delicious and nutrient dense. Filled with mild warming spices and good fats.
Deliciously Mild Vegetable Curry
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 onion sliced
15 -20 fresh curry leaves (if you have them)
4 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
250g kumara cubed
250 pumpkin cubed
1 can coconut cream (400ml)
1 can chickpeas
double handful spinach
1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When heated, add the cumin and mustard seeds.
2. When they begin to pop (after a few seconds) add the sliced onion.
3. When the onion begins to slightly brown add the garlic and ginger. Fry for a further few seconds.
4. Add the paprika, cayenne, turmeric, salt, potato and pumpkin. Stir fry for a few seconds.
5. Add 1 cup of water (or stock).
6. Cook gently until the pumpkin and potato are tender. Then add the coconut cream and chickpeas. Heat through.
7. Just before serving, wilt the spinach into the curry and add the chopped fresh coriander.