THE CONSCIOUS KITCHEN
PHOTOGRAPHY + STYLING PORTFOLIO
November 15, 2017
I don't know about you, but I am a huge fan of salad. Not the usual lettuce, cucumber and tomato though. I love a salad that is hearty enough to take the place of an entire meal.
There are several essential elements that make up a good salad...
- crunch - toasted nuts or seeds are perfect
- soft - avocado, chicken, cheese, pumpkin, kumara, grilled vegetables etc
- sweet - fruit, sweet vegetables etc
- sour - onion, spring onion, lemon, lime, ginger, vinegar etc
- salty - cheese, seasoning, capers, fish, anchovies, fish sauce etc
- protien - cheese, meat, rice, beans, quinoa, nuts etc.
- carbohydrate - roasted root vegetables, vegetables, fruit, croutons, corn, beans etc
- healthy fat - avocado, olive oil, fish, meat, nuts, seeds, avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, minimally refined oils.
- greens - broccoli, leafy greens, asparagus, spinach, kale, herbs etc
Using this as a guide you can come up with an amazing salad with what ever you have on hand to suit the seasons.
This Chargrilled Asparagus, Walnut and Feta Salad ticks all of those boxes.
Ingredients (serves 4, as a side)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
Juice of one lemon
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 bunch of fresh Asparagus, trimmed
Double handful of mixed salad greens
1 cup of cucumber, diced
100g feta cheese, diced
20 grapes, sliced lengthways
In small bowl place the sliced red onion and cover with the lemon juice. (This pickles the onion, making it less punchy and more pleasant in the salad.)
Place the walnuts in a small frying pan and gently toast on a low-medium heat until fragrant and crunchy. (Just keep and eye on them, and move often so they don't burn.)
Drizzle the Asparagus with olive oil and season generously with salt. Heat a skillet or BBQ and grill the asparagus until tender and slightly charred. Cut the spears in half and place to one side.
To assemble the salad, start with the salad greens, then arrange the grapes, cucumber, diced feta, drained onion, walnuts and finally the asparagus.
To dress the salad, simply spoon over a little of the lemon juice used to pickle the onion and a generous drizzle of olive oil.
February 9, 2020
Chargrilled Corn and Fresh Nectarine Salad
January 3, 2020
Summer Strawberry Compote
November 18, 2019
Lemony Lentil Salad
November 10, 2019
Dark Chocolate Brownie
November 6, 2019
October 15, 2019
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Japanese Winter Vegetable Salad
Spring Greens Minestrone Soup
Grain Free Chocolate Cake to Die For!